Whether it’s because you’re buying a new house, or you’re renovating. It’s always helpful and important to check for asbestos.
Unfortunately, home inspections are usually not required to do so and may charge an extra fee to do it.
Asbestos Is Commonly Found Within The Home Asbestos is commonly found in ceilings, roofs, and within walls. Carpeting is one of the worst places for asbestos.
Asbestos is a mineral fiber that occurs in rock and soil. It’s mixed in cement and was used as a building material until the 1980s.
It had been banned all across the US and other countries due to adverse health effects. This is why it’s extremely important to check for them. Asbestos causes mesothelioma, lung cancer, and other cancers.
But if they’re so dangerous, why was it used? Well, Materials made with asbestos are strong, incombustible, heat-resistant, and sound-absorbent, making asbestos an attractive material for electrical and building insulation, among other uses.
Removal & Costs
Asbestos is also flammable and can escape through a roof but what makes asbestos more dangerous is the fact that it cannot be detected by the naked eye, scent, or taste.
Meaning, the only way it can be detected is by sending a sample to the lab for testing or hiring a home inspector. However, this can get costly since the national average for asbestos removal can range anywhere from $500 to $5,000.
Whereas, a general home inspection will cost around $400 depending on the size of your home.
If you’re on a tight budget there is a possibility that you could remove it yourself however, it is not advised to do so. Removing Asbestos releases fibers that cause lung damage. The NACHI offers some safety steps to follow before proceeding to do so.
Safety steps to remove asbestos
It is highly advised to follow these steps to avoid inhaling the toxic fibers.
- Clear and seal the room
- Wear disposable gloves
- Shut off any cooling or heating systems
- Do not disturb more material than absolutely necessary
- Place plastic on the floor, and if possible, seal the entire room
- Wet the material first, which will reduce the number of fibers released
- Tightly seal the container the asbestos is placed in
- Dispose of it properly at a dangerous waste removal facility
It’s extremely important to check for asbestos in your house since they often go unnoticed and are usually not a required checkup by home inspectors.
If you have been exposed to asbestos You should see a doctor if you develop respiratory or gastrointestinal symptoms that progress and don’t go away on their own.
Fortunately, most of the products these days do not contain asbestos. And they only release harmful fibers if disturbed and don’t cause harm unless it’s inhaled.