Table of Contents Hide
To answer your question, Yes! Home inspectors do check for the presence of mold.
Your home inspector may see obvious signs of mold or water damage, even in the spaces, you wouldn’t have checked yourself.
Image credit: Sandy Millar on Unsplash
These sneaky little spores aren’t easy to detect. This is why a home inspection maybe your best option.
If you or a family member has asthma, and if a baby or an elderly person will live in the same house as you, then it’s extremely important to check for mold problems.
You shouldn’t hesitate in asking home inspectors for an inspection report since most inspectors try to avoid liability for any mold-related problems.
So, with all said, should you buy a house with mold problems? How bad is it?
What is it?
Molds come in various different colors such as green, gray, black, or white and they also come in different shapes and sizes.
Molds grow on wet or damp spots. They produce allergens which are substances that can cause allergic reactions.
They have the potential to cause health problems such as asthma attacks which is why it’s extremely important to limit exposure to people with asthma.
Molds may also irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs of both mold-allergic and non-allergic people.
And, not just health problems! They also cause structural problems to the house.
Some common places where molds may be found are:
- Leaking pipes, windows, or roofs where there’s a constant supply of water, making it the perfect home for molds.
- Tightly sealed buildings or rooms that trap excess water.
- Homes with poor ventilation and many overwatered houseplants which cause dampness in the area.
Symptoms include hay fever-type symptoms, such as:
- Runny nose
- Red eyes
- Skin rash
But, there could be more symptoms that are not common. Research on mold and health effects is still ongoing.
How To Tell
Molds aren’t a problem if they’re found outdoors since they play a part in nature by breaking down dead organic matter such as fallen leaves and dead trees. However, indoors, mold should be avoided.
So how can you tell if you have a mold problem? Because molds are produced by the means of tiny spores, they’re almost impossible to be seen by the naked eye.
- However, you can still sometimes see the mold appear, meaning it’s probably much worse than it looks.
- You experience the above-mentioned symptoms
What Should You Do?
If you notice that you have a mold issue in your house then it’s important you do something about it before it gets too late.
Usually, home inspectors would be the best option since they come with special equipment.
Such as a moisture meter to detect moisture levels or a machine that sucks in the air and cassettes, which are special devices that channel the sucked-in air through a slide that captures air spores.
Do It Yourself
- Bleach is a good option to remove tough stains and kill mold. But, be careful as there are different types of bleach with different concentrations. An example is chlorine bleach which is very harsh and needs to be diluted before use unless you want discoloration!
- You could also use vinegar because it’s acidic meaning it slowly breaks down the structure of mold and kills it. But, vinegar is more gentle than bleach so, in order to remove tough mold and mold stains, additional scrubbing with a household cleaner may be required.
- Another budget-friendly option could be baking soda and borax. Due to their high level of pH, they’re useful in eliminating mold. Just mix it with water! However, borax is much more effective than baking soda in removing lingering mold stains.
Mold can be extremely dangerous if it’s ignored.
Whether you’re buying a new house or renovating it, it’s advisable to do a proper mold inspection through professionals. Since they have the proper equipment and may detect mold in spaces you wouldn’t have even thought of!
Fortunately, you can even remove mold yourself if it has been detected.